From: Jeannine Bestine [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, March 29, 2002 6:53 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Very Beginner Question

I just signed up for this list and I'm wondering if anyone has some
basic references that one beginning in the network security area.  I
apologize in advance for bring up an issue that has probably been
disscussed many times before.

I've been doing desktop support for about 20 macs and never really
had to worry about network security, but I began some classes in
networks and find network security very interesting.  Since the new
OS is presenting some interesting discussions about security, I
thought I should begin somewhere and soon.

Many of my users use ICQ, IRC, AOL, IM at home, and I've been really
reluctant to install them on their work stations.  Am I just being
paranoid?

Thanks,
--
Jeannine M. Bestine
Computer Assistant VI

Memorial Church
Harvard Yard
Cambridge, MA  02138

PHONE:  617-496-4604
FAX:    617-496-9166

http://www.memorialchurch.harvard.edu
http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/~uchoir

"Mirror, mirror on the wall," she enunciated, in a voice that would
have secured her a job as a newsreader on any station in the
universe, "who's the fairest of them all?"

The old man sneered. "Bad command or file name," he said. "Please retry."

(Tom Holt, "Snow White and the Seven Samurai")