Joe,

My input on your question...

In an ideal situation, no.  Vulnerability assessment
tools will never replace the well-prepared and
knowledgeable pen testing team...notice I did not say
"person" or "individual".

However, somewhere along the way you took the red pill
and you're in the real world.  Someone can put the
right twist on the numbers and show that the licensing
for ISS is much less costly than hiring X number of
qualified pen testers...better to go with a commercial
product like ISS with all of it's false positives and
other issues, and have a bunch of low-paid, drunken
monkeys run the tool.  Or, hire one or two people to
maintain an up-to-date version of Nessus, with some
custom checks, and leave it at that.

Cynical, perhaps, but I've been there, seen that, and
got the t-shirt.  In fact, you might even have already
had customers who demand that the ISS products be
used, so they can tell their customers and Board of
Directors that they were scanned w/ ISS, and/or have
RealSecure installed...regardless of the
implementation, etc.

When it comes to security, business decisions crowd
out simple common sense...