At 20:29 2/05/02, Orlando J. Cano wrote:
>I was wondering if anybody from this forum has had any experience with
>these high energy degaussers.
>I recently used this degaussers on Data Cartridges (DDS), PC & Servers
>hard drives but I want to be sure all data has been erased and that is not
>recoverable.
>
>Any comment would be very much appreciated.
>
>Thanks
>
>Orlando Cano
>Enterprise Security Analyst

I don't know what everyone else thinks, but IMHO I wouldn't trust just a
degausser.  If ensuring that the data is completely irrecoverable is very
important to you, the only sure way is to physically destroy the
drive.  I've heard that the US military uses a combination of grinders and
acid baths to accomplish this.  Even burning the drive may not be
sufficient, since it is possible to recover data even after a 1700 degree
fire (see http://www.drivesavers.com/museum/museuma.html ).  A degausser
would probably render data 99.9% unrecoverable, but if you want to be
absolutely sure, destroy the media.

Just my $0.02. ;)

Peter Kristolaitis