If you are going to VLANs, perhaps you would want to consider Layer 3
switching for inter-VLAN traffic.  This will give you some additional
security by providing access lists defining who can initiate sessions to
what VLAN, and whatnot.  If you don't expect much growth, perhaps a
Catalyst 4006 would do the trick.  There is a layer 3 blade for that and
with the Supervisor 3 engine, there is somewhere around a 54Gbps
backplane.  You can put 192 ports per chassis with the supervisor and
the layer 3 blade.  If you need more ports than the 4000 offers, just
add 3524's, 3548's stacked through the GBICs off the Supervisor blade,
or consider the 6000 series.  The other thing that makes the 4000 nice
is if you have 10/100/1000 cards, you can put blades in to support that
(makes it nice for servers, graphics departments, etc).

The problem with the 2900 series is the backplane.  If you don't have
the budget for the 4006, the 3500 would be a better solution to the
2900, since it has a better switching fabric and the 3524 can come with
inline power for wireless stuff and phones. . .

My $.02

Thanks and have a great day,
Trevor Williams
Sr. Design Engineer
The TechKnowledgy Center
5200 E. Cortland Blvd
Suite A-15
Flagstaff, AZ 86004
PH: (928) 779-9700 x:212
FAX: (928) 779-6223
CELL: (928) 699-6224
TEXT MSG: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.techknowledgy.com

"A problem clearly stated, is a problem half solved"
Charles Kettering