I would personally recommend against the free version of ZoneAlarm.  In
my not so humble opinion, you get what you pay for ;)  As I work in an
IRT, I can tell you that in my experience the free version may not be
what you are looking for.

Additionally, don't be lulled into a false sense of security against
trojans and viruses by firewall products.  Firewalls do not protect
against these.  For genuine protection from malware, you need the tools
for the job.  This means up to date antivirus software, anti spyware
software, and antitrojan software.

You might also want to check out the site www.mynetwatchman.com They
provide a great free reporting service via downloadable plugins that
interact with a range of firewalls, including linux based ones.

Hope this proves useful!

Tremaine