Maybe this will help:
http://www.sans.org/newlook/digests/hacking_efs1.htm

-----Original Message-----
From: mightyscot .
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2002 09:11
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: cracking Windows 2000 EFS

Hi,

I am hoping that someone can help me save all my personal documents that are
encrypted with Windows 2000 EFS. I reinstalled my W2K without unencrypting
my documents and I did not back up the key used to encrypt the documents. It
was a standalone system so there is no Administrator with a recovery key to
help. My account was the administrator which got formatted with the
reinstall. I recovered the SAM file and tried replacing the newly installed
system's SAM file with my old SAM file in the hopes that it would think I
was the previous account and allow me to unencrypt my documents but W2K did
not like the switch and wouldn't let me log in at all. Is there a way to
unencypt my documents?? Is there a cracking program available or some other
method? I have tried searching for *.cer files to recover the certificate
used to encrypt the files but none existed.

Thanks for any help,
MS