I thought Snort was capable of dropping packets based on the snort
ruleset... am I wrong? Is that performed only by the firewall?

I realise Ethereal is only for listening to what's happening.

Does anyone have any in depth installation and config tutorials?
Snort.org has a few, but nothing I can make good use of.

I'll check out silicondefense... although I'm not on any MS product -
Mandrake Linux 8.2

Regards,
Thomas Madhavan