This works here:

egrep "1433|1434"  /var/adm/alertlog|awk  '{print $11}'|sort -u|awk  -F
":" '{print $1}'|sort -u|wc -l

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne

On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Matthew Carpenter wrote:

> As in the case with our recent new SQLSnake friend, is there a good way to
> count the number of 1433 hits using a syslog file? I can see all of the
> denied hits, but am curious if you all know of a good way to monitor the #
> of hits per day and so forth just using a syslog file. Is there a free tool
> to do that? ReportGen has good stats, but I can not readily see this. TIA

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
        ***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.