The best Host Based IDS in my opnion is Tripwire.  WWW.Tripwire.com.  The reasons are:

Proven
Set the basis for all other hids to follow
Received the information security award last year for their category
Not as expensive as others (ISS, Cisco, etc.)
Interacts with other security products like Checkpoint
Tripwire product range is true to intrusion detection, not trying to be a master of
all security
Has other specific hids for databases, routers and a lot of different os's

When someone asks a general question, it would be nice to see those who respond
respond with reasons for their selections.

Charles

The information contained in this message is intended only for the recipient, may be
privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for
delivering this message to the intended recipient, please be aware that any
dissemination or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this communication in error, please immediately notify us by replying to the
message and deleting it from your computer.

Thank you,
Standard & Poor's