2002-06-10-12:41:46 Kain, Becki (B.):
> I saw in the archives a note requesting people's opinion on ISS vs
> NFR, but I didn't see any responses.

People who know that they're talking about usually avoid
volunteering product opinions in fora like this. The big reason that
can't be helped is that these products evolve very rapidly over
time; the one that was better in some particular way 6 months ago
might not be ahead in that particular attribute any more. But (as
you reflected when you searched the archives) opinions committed
here are lodged forever, a stone permanently stuck in the kidneys of
the internet.

At any given point in time, you probably won't hear an expert
stating that either ISS or NFS is better than the other, as an
absolute; rather, they have different strengths and weaknesses, and
to perform a given job with a particular set of constraints one or
the other might be preferable --- today.

The closest I think you'll find are published reviews; if you find a
good one it'll try and give enough detailed comparisons on various
attributes (e.g. cost, performance, ease of use for various tasks,
frequency of signature updates, etc.) so that you can weight them to
fit your needs and make an informed decision. But don't put too much
value on a review if it's not quite recent, this data really does
get stale fast.

-Bennett