> 1. Is there any way to identify these machines -
form
> where it was tried ?

Now?  No.  Depending on your architecture, you might
have some info in DHCP, WINS, or firewall logs that
would be of use.

> 2. Is there any way to monitor these servers and
alert
> generated if any unsucessful attaepmt? ( I know we
can
> implement IDS and acieve this. But any special tool
> for NT other than IDS. Also if IDS is the only
> solution then which is the best IDS)?

For IDS, I'd recommend snort...it's free, pretty easy
to use, and runs on NT/2K, if that's what you need.

Regarding your solution...I've written Perl scripts
that may be of interest.  Go to:

http://patriot.net/~carvdawg/perl.html

The script 'wmievt.pl' uses WMI to implement an app
that listens for Events...it doesn't poll, so very
little CPU time is consumed as it 'waits'.  Using the
skeleton code, you can include filters for specific
event IDs.  Using other modules, this code can be
written as an NT service, as well as send alerts out
via email, syslog, etc.

For the above code to work, you need to have WMI
classes from Microsoft installed on NT.  If you don't
want to do that, I have some Perl code that uses
another implementation that will do the same thing on
NT...

Another possible solution is to use something like
NTSyslog to send the EventLog entries out to a
centralized server, and then use Kiwi Enterprises'
Syslog Daemon...even the free version allows for email
alerts.

HTH,

Carv