Hobbit's paper is the best source. NT4 uses 14 character passwords
encrypted in two separate 7 character groupings. LANMAN uses 7
character, all uppercase, passwords.

If you use an 8 character password, the first 7 characters would be
hashed separately from the 8th character (which would be part of the
second half - a separate 7 character hash). Any unused characters are
padded. This is why the best password is a 7 character or 14 character
password. Anything else makes the crack that much easier (if you know
the second half of the password, you can generally deduce the first half
without much effort).

The best way to learn is probably to play with l0phtcrack for a bit.

Here is a good introduction as well:

        http://online.securityfocus.com/infocus/1319

- Ian C. Blenke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>