[[EMAIL PROTECTED]] Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 11:12:49AM +0100 wrote:
> Amit,
>
>   The best place I found when I started looking up common attacks was the
> Hacking Exposed series. This gave me a great insight into not just the
> attacks themselves, but the methods that people use. These series of books
> come highly recommended by myself and my collegues, and should be
> available from all on-line book retailers. The first of the three books
> below is a generic cross platform book and an excellent place to start. If
> you are after more OS specific books then the next two deal with *nix and
> Windows in more detail.
>
> ISBN Book Numbers are :-
>
> Hacking Exposed Third Edition
> Publisher - Osborne McGraw-Hill
> ISBN: 0072193816
>
> Hacking Exposed Windows 2000
> Publisher - Osborne McGraw-Hill
> ISBN: 0072192623
>
> Hacking Linux Exposed
> Publisher - Osborne McGraw-Hill
> ISBN: 0072127732
>
>   Good Luck,
>
>   Dave Stout
>   Senior Network Engineer

  The above books are excellent in describing the how's/threat levels, etc.. The
following book is
also a must read for (IMO) methodology and inner workings so to speak, behind
attacks/vulnerabilities.

"Hack Proofing your Network. Internet Tradecraft"

http://www.syngress.com/catalog/sg_info.cfm?pid=1083

-nocon