What would stop me from naming
very_bad_file.exe to
seemingly_good_file.txt
to bypass this?

-Russell Lewis

"Ian Kelly" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 07/20/2002 06:22:04 AM

To:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
cc:    (bcc: RUSSELL T. LEWIS/SPECTRAL RESPONSE INC./SPECTRALNT1)
Subject:  Floppy & CD Access Control and Authorisation

Is anyone aware of any solutions that would check floppies, CD's etc. and
block unapproved file types (exes, mp3's etc.) from being transferred to the
PC? I can only find physical / software locks that block everything or
software authorisation systems that allow access to a pre-authorised disks
only.

I know that there are content security solutions that can be configured to
stop unapproved file types entering an organisation via email and the
Internet and there are server resource management solutions that can stop a
user saving unapproved file formats onto a network share but I can't find a
solution like this for removable media. Does anyone have any ides?

Ian.