On Wednesday 18 Sep 2002 7:37 am, Greg van der Gaast wrote:
> CD-based?
>
> As in software on a CD? (like all other software)

No, as in boots from a CD, making it a more "secure" firewall. Boot media =
read only. Therefore compromised server = reboot.

> Greg

> Sirs, I am looking for a cd-based firewall that has squid support. The
> Squid part is basically to be able to use the NT based authentication of
> a LAN NT Domain controller.
> Any suggestions are welcomed (google search returned many confusing
> items)

Then your Google search is not right. I did

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=%2B%22bootable+CDROM%22+%2BLinux+%2Bfirewall&btnG=Google+Search

and got some sensible leads.

I found several straight out. Sentry Firewall CD was top <=== this is not an
endorsement.

> Squid part is basically to be able to use the NT based authentication of
> a LAN NT Domain controller.

I'm puzzled by the squid references though. I assume you are wanting a proxy
server on the firewall that can authenticate with your NT domain. Chances are
that these products don't offer that and you will have to have a separate box
with squid on it that has a "special" hole through your firewall, most
probably using NAT to hide the fact that it is on a different box.

Mike

 "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the
   surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge,
   they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind."
        Edsger Wybe Dijkstra on Computers