(2002.10.10, 19:22)

I have stumbled over an Apache behaviour I don't understand. Please
explain and advise.

I have the following lines in the Apache 1.3.23 httpd.conf:

<Directory /home/user/public_html/secure>
AuthType Basic
AuthName "Please enter your user id and password."
AuthDBUserFile /home/user/public_html/secure/controle
Require valid-user
</Directory>

They request that Apache controls access to the said directory.

I have created an entry in my DNS to point "user.blabla.ca" to my
server IP address. Within the Apache configuration, the virtual server
is defined this way:

<VirtualHost (IP address here)>
   ServerName user.blabla.ca
   DocumentRoot /home/user/public_html
   UseCanonicalName off
   ErrorLog /var/log/httpd/error_log
   CustomLog /var/log/httpd/access_log combined
   ErrorDocument 404 /404.html
</VirtualHost>

When the virtual site is accessed via http://user.blabla.ca, documents
in the "secure" directory are correctly controlled by the <Directory>
statements. Fine.

However, if the same page (and directory) is accessed via
http://blabla.ca/~user, then NO authentification is done! NONE!

Why? How can I circumvent this behaviour?

Thanks in advance.

Benoît

Benoît Gauthier, mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Réseau Circum inc. / Circum Network Inc.

Nouvelles/News http://circum.com

74, rue du Val-Perché, Hull, Québec (Canada) J8Z 2A6
+1 819.770.2423  télec. fax: +1 819.770.5196

http://evaluationcanada.ca/
http://simulation.evaluationcanada.ca/
http://internationalevaluation.com/