On Sat, Oct 12, 2002 at 02:05:33AM +0000, SB CH wrote:
> Hello, all.
>
> As you know, basic tcp/ip based service is throught plain text.
> So I use ssh instead telnet, and sslwrap with pop3 etc.
> But I have no idea about ftp encryption method.
> using sslwrap, I can't use ftp service because ftp use two port.
> Do you know any method how to encryption ftp service?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Their is an IETF Draft (hopefully an RFC by now, but I haven't looked
in a while) on the matter.

Their solution was to use TLS, which nicely gets around the two socket
problems (although so does application SSL support... but I like TLS
better :)

ProFTP had a patch (may have been integrated into main package by now)
that implimented the Draft.  The chalange is for you to find a client
that supports that Draft.

http://www.proftpd.org

Or use sftp.  It is a sub-module of ssh (v2 protocol).  It isn't FTP
though.

Or if this is infrequent, anonymous FTP with PGP encoded files.
   __o          Bradley Arlt                    Security Team Lead
 _ \<_          [EMAIL PROTECTED]           University Of Calgary
(_)/(_)         I should be biking right now.   Computer Science