From: ATD [mailto:simon@;snosoft.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2002 2:04 PM
To: Allan Jensen
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Webmin Security Questions

All,
        Three points:

1-) I have seen remote exploits for webmin that grant shell access
due
to flaws in the scripts that webmin uses.

2-) Webmin requires an httpd to run.  If you are using webmin to
manage
your mail server, then you need to run httpd on your web server,
which
you would not need to do otherwise. In doing that you open up another
service for an attacker to pounce on.

3-) Why would a systems administrator rely on a web based
administration
tool? Shouldn't that administrator understand the inner workings of
his
or her system. Shouldn't that administrator also be security aware?

Don't get me wrong, webmin does have a place but I do not see it in a
network that requires any serious level of security. It would be
handy
for a test network, or maybe an isolated network behind a few
firewalls.  I would not suggest using it on any system directly
exposed
to the internet though.

Allan Jansen wrote:
> [...]
- --

- -ATD-

Secure Network Operations |     Strategic Reconnaissance Team
http://www.snosoft.com    |     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cerebrum Project          |     [EMAIL PROTECTED]