I believe DNS uses TCP in certain circumstances.  If I recall correctly, if
the request to the DNS server generates a reply that's too big for UDP, it
will use TCP instead.  If you block TCP, you'll see strange behavior from
your DNS server - it'll work sometimes but not others.  Your internal
clients are probably doing perfectly normal DNS queries.

Run a packet sniffer with a good analyzer tool and check.  I think Ethereal
can decode any valid DNS requests.