Take a look at the ikey or ActivCard ActivKey.  They are SmartCard and reader
in one, so you don't have to carry a reader around all the time.  It's also
plug and play, works great in Windows environment.  I think it is probably an
expensive implementation of PKI.  Usually people use PKI as a cheap form of two
factor authentication, and adding a smart card just cost you about $40-50 extra
per user.  However, the technology is cool though. IMHO