Hello Vik,

What the attacker does is not allowing the Kernel to fill in the IP datagram
from the packet he's spoofing, and filling it by himself/herself.
How can (s)he do that?
Well, the best way I know, and probably is the way that land.c (that you mention)
uses (I do do not know the source of that program) is creating a RAW socket.
Then using a function called setsocketop() enabling the option IP_HDRINCL which
allows you to include your own IP Header. This way it's you that create the all
the IPheader including  IP Source Address.

For further information give a look at raw(7) man page.

Regards,

P. Abrantes