For example:

my bank uses the last digits of the SSN to login..

so all you need to compromise my account is my account
number and the last four digits of my SSN.

and how does one get my SSN or bank account number??

dumpster diving!!..

also: some websites use the SSN as the login.. and
then some people use the last four digits of their SSN
as the password...

A word to the wise: Never use any number/symbol/name
for an account/password/identity when security is a
concern..

d.

http://www.cpsr.org/cpsr/privacy/ssn/SSN-History.html