Erick Arturo Perez Huemer wrote:

> I am about to install a RedHat 8.0 box with iptables to act as our
> firewall for our internal network that consists of 20 machines.
>
> Besides doing a -j drop on our external interface when receives a packet
> with source equal to our internal network, what other measures we have
> to take?
>
> We do host an SMTP server but nothing else. I have read about blocking
> 10.x.x.x addresses but also read that "some" routers/sites use those
> addresses. Any anti-DoS rules? More settings?
>
> Or maybe a link to a site that offers suggestion for proper firewall
> configurations....
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Erick.

Why not take a look at Tom Eastep's Shorewall:
http://www.shorewall.net/

Excellent documentation available, along with the author's reliable
support on the mailing lists which cover anything having to do with
configuring an iptables/firewall box like yours.

Best regards,
--
Patrick Benson
Stockholm, Sweden