From: "Tim Laureska" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
OK. I just installed a Netgear firewall box between a cable modem and a
NT 4.0 server on a small network.. and set it up to email me attempts at
security breaches. I am brand new to these devices and a relative
neophyte to internet/internal network security.  So the question is
this.

I received this message a few times yesterday after I installed the box:

Fri, 02/14/2003 20:35:01 - TCP connection dropped -
Source:205.138.3.201, 80, WAN - Destination:69.2.167.25, 20306, LAN -
'TCP:Syn Flooding' End of Log ----------

What should I make of this?
That your firewall is doing it's job, and that you were right to install one. You firewall is telling you that someone attempted a syn flood. Basically they're violating the tcp three way handshake by sending repeated syn packets in the hopes that it will create a denial of service condition on your server, and possibly cause a stack crash which would allow priveledge escalation. The message is saying that it was detected and the connection dropped to prevent further meddling on their part.

Chris Berry
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Systems Administrator
JM Associates