In any event a BITSTREAM copy should be taken of any drive prior to analysis
if that is possible.  There are times when it is not.  Harlan has some good
points on processes, servies and the like.  You want to document those
before you take down a machine (workstation or server)anyway if you are able
to.  In the case of a server, you may not be able to take it down.  In that
case there are processes and analysis you can do without takin git down.
Also, there are tools that CAN do bitsream copies on LIVE machines.  That
being said.  If you can't take it down and you want to copy across a network
you can do that.  It does not destroy chain of custody (which is the term we
should be using) and you are not corrupting your evidence.  You may change
an access date (I did not test this and don't have time at the moment) but
you still have your modification and creation dates which won't change.  In
addition if you are following proper forensic procedures, all of this should
be documented (incl date and time) so you can prove that you did the copy
but it didn't modify.  I've done it and it will hold up.  Why would I copy
an entire 100GB serve to get one 100MB user share?  I could but you need to
do a costbenefit analysis before you do. IE. Is what in free, swap and slack
space potentially of enough interst to me to warrant that review since
potentially that amount can be HUGE.  A workstation can be different since
I'm not sorting through other users stuff and I can basically attribute all
or most of the files to a particular user based on profiles (assuming
Windows OS).    Key is proper FORENSIC PROCESSES are followed.  If you can
document and you are not touching MODIFY or CREATION dates then you are
pretty much OK as long as you document properly.

http://shopping.yahoo.com

**********

If you have received this message in error please notify SYSNET Ltd., at
telephone no: +353-1-2983000 or [EMAIL PROTECTED]

This message is a PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL communication, and is intended only for
the individual(s) named herein or others specifically authorized to receive the
communication. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender of the
error immediately, do not read or use the communication in any manner, destroy all
copies, and delete it from your system if the communication was sent via email.