Very good points. Here is one (minimal) tool that can address the packet size
and/or minimal traffic checkup, for $0:

- get yourself a copy of Qcheck from:
http://www.netiq.com/qcheck/default.asp
then endpoints for whatever OS you're running from:
http://www.netiq.com/support/pe/pe.asp

Of course, in order to address the ping limitations, one can always use some
open-source utilities such as hping2 and bping ...

Stef