one trick I've used, which gives me a 'hint' of whether or not applications are really
ecrypting, or just some form of compression/encoding is to attempt to send a HUGE
block of a single character..  say 10000 'a's or something like that..  doesn't always
work... but sometimes I'll see a huge block of some repeating pattern in the data
stream... which means no encryption.. Sort of a 'known plaintext attack'. From there,
you can try different plaintext blocks.. and can sometimes figure out the encoding.

Not very scientific mind you... but occaisonally useful

 - jim