There are a number of different things that could alert you to a port
scan, but an IDS generaly has the role of detecting these types of
events.  Snort is a very popular free IDS, but if would be best to
install on a seperate box (if you have an old pc around)  Check out
their website at snort.org
Reminder you will need to put this (1) on a hub that is connected to
the web server or (2) on a switch port that is spanned from the web
servers port or (3) a network tap
If you would like some more ideas youcan e-mail me offline, there are
many different ways to do this.

Mitchell

http://www.attackprevention.com