If they are internal addresses, have you:

1. checked to see if the machine is alive (ping or a 'polite' port scan) -
if it is, ask the operator if he knows anything, or ask to be allowed to
check yourself what is running on it. It's possible that it is not a spoofed
address but rather an infected machine.

2. checked if other machines are getting hit that way? do you have access to
more machines, preferably in your subnet, or even better can you log/sniff
the network traffic in your subnet? to see what else those addresses are
doing?

3. examined the payload to see what is happening? you can try setting up a
netcat listener and just sending the output to a text file to see what the
attacker is trying to do.

4. reported it to your computer security helpdesk or whatever there is at UC
Irvine? they may be able to correlate it with activity happening all over
the network.

That many hits does not sound like any kind of live/smart attacker. It
sounds more like a script or a virus.

It sounds particularly like a virus/worm if there are more and more machines
joining in. They may be looking for infected machines (that were infected in
another manner entirely) that would be listening on that port.

I would be happy to help you more if you like. Just send me email with the
results of the four things above.

badenIT GmbH
System Support

Chris Meidinger