As a system administrator, I would freak if I was in this situation.  I
know what software is installed on all of my servers and know exactly
what it's for and what ports it uses for communications.

I think this is a good point to make.

As a 3rd party security consultant, when we sell a security package the
foundation for the security is the written policy.   The written policy
has provisions and hard copy forms which inventory every machine in the
network and details every software/service running on each and every
machine.

For some of our bigger clients, it really can be a chore, but in the
long run, it actually saves time and sure makes the security
configuration easier because it somewhat develops a baseline install
for workstations and servers.

Then you adjust per server or workstation pending on the task at hand.

But you should keep an inventory of software on your servers.

Evaluating SSL VPNs' Consider NEOTERIS, chosen as leader by top analysts!
The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of its Magic Quadrant,
while InStat has confirmed Neoteris as the leader in marketshare.

Find out why, and see how you can get plug-n-play secure remote access in
about an hour, with no client, server changes, or ongoing maintenance.

Visit us at: http://www.neoteris.com/promos/sf-6-9.htm