In order to determine that, you would have to be monitoring all traffic
crossing a publicly available IP address, using a firewall, correct?  If
my firewall is any indication, there is constant malicious traffic and
spam going across the networks of cable internet providers.  From what I
can see, the majority of attacks are 3 types (two of the types
completely automated), and occur at an average frequency of every few
minutes:

1.  (Most common).  Automated attacks that occur on the local ISP's
subnet, which come from Windows computers which have been compromised by
the Nimda (or other similar, such as Code Red, IRC Flood) virus, and
continually scan the local subnet for other computers to infect.

2.  (Next common).  MSRPC UDP port probes, all of which, I imagine, are
attempts to send pop-up messages (spam) (which are blocked by my
software).

3.  (Least common).  Actual scans by hackers (at least, I imagine they
are).  While attack #1 comes most often from the local subnet, and
attack #2 from within sources throughout the United States, attack #3
(scans by hackers) often come from foreign countries (such as Taiwan,
Japan, Northern Europe, or Brazil).

Of course, I'm just talking about a local home computer on a cable
network, so I have no really valid traffic coming to my computer.  A
computer that hosts a web site or other service on the Internet,
certainly has much more traffic than what I have coming to mine.

[While on the topic of Nimda, IRC Flood - can anyone explain how hackers
exploit these?  There is plenty of info on the symptoms and cure, but
how do hackers actually use IRC Flood, which supposedly allows someone
to manipulate a computer remotely.  Besides the computer becoming a
"robot" and attempting to infect other computers, is there actually a
"backdoor" that is created?  I read that IRC Flood will send messages
alerting IRC users that a computer is compromised.  But to what extent
is an actual "backdoor" created?]

Jim