To put it very trivially, when a port is "filtered" it
drops packets which do not originate from a trusted IP
address.  Just one example of when port filtering is
used is for "backdoors" or "trojans".  These often
only accept connections from user-specified IP
addresses, and silently ignore all other traffic.

If you want a more detailed and more technically
indeph explanation, I'm sure the Nmap page has some
reference to it in some place or another;
www.insecure.org/nmap

Thank you for your time.
Shaun.