On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 11:44:43PM +0530, D N Vaidya wrote:
> Dear List members,
> >
> > I like to know that in datacenter environment if Windows, Linux, Solaris
> > systems are hosted, then how to keep track of vulnerability in all
> > machines. If any new vulnerability arised or disclosed then how to
> > execute patch up hundreds of production system with out affecting the
> > system.
> >
> > Also Microsoft is releasing daily new patches and service packs, how to
> > verify wheather the release is required for our system or not? Same
> > question is there about Linux and Solaris.
> >
> > How to upgrade Hardening process of OS?
> > Which tool is best for vulnerability accessment?
> >
> > Sincerely,
> > D.N.Vaidya

greetings,

I am *sure* Sun Microsystems will sell you a support contract for Solaris,
and at least Red Hat Linux will also do something similar for you-- just
contact the appropriate vendor directly.

I do not use Microsoft, so I cannot comment on their update policy, but
basically anytime a vendor releases a patch you will need to evaluate it
carefully based on what it "fixes" given your computing environment.

on my own network, I pretty much update immediately whenever Red Hat
releases a patch-- I use 'up2date -u' and it all just works, and I've never
had a problem with their patches.

regards,