On 20 April 2010 14:57, Chris Hegarty <chris.hega...@oracle.com> wrote:
> Brad,
>
> Sorry to chime in late, but would it make server side rules/filtering
> simpler if we added the mailing list name in the subject line?
>
> The reason I ask is that since moving to a new mail server I can no longer
> create filters on the 'sender' ( or any other more exotic ) headers. This
> makes filtering a real pain for messages coming from the openjdk mailing
> lists. If the mailing list name was in the subject line... Of course I would
> need all the mailing lists I'm subscribed to to do the same.
>
> -Chris.
>
> Brad Wetmore wrote:
>>
>> Looking for opinions as to whether the current subject line format of
>> the security-...@o.j.n emails is useful:
>>
>>    Subject: [security-dev 01800]: The Real subject.
>>
>> I note a lot of the client (e.g. sounds, swing) lists have just the list
>> name, and a lot of the server lists (e.g. tl, hotspot) don't have
>> either.  security-dev is the only one doing both the list name and the
>> message number.  It's not as useful as I originally thought when I
>> configured it, but I could be talked into it either way.
>>
>> If you have an opinion, especially for keeping it the same, let me know
>> privately, no need to clutter everyone's email.  But I'm thinking I may
>> just remove the topic/number.  If I see a clear/obvious preference for
>> keeping one or both, I'll certainly take that into consideration.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Brad
>> security-dev admin

I think the mailing list name is useful and is used by a number of
other lists; with the number of OpenJDK lists, it's nice to be able to
see at a glance which one a mail was sent to.

I've never seen any use for the number.  Indeed, I didn't even know
what it meant until this thread.
--
Andrew :-)

Free Java Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc. (http://www.redhat.com)

Support Free Java!
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath
http://openjdk.java.net

PGP Key: 94EFD9D8 (http://subkeys.pgp.net)
Fingerprint: F8EF F1EA 401E 2E60 15FA  7927 142C 2591 94EF D9D8