On 02/27/2013 06:24 AM, Alan Bateman wrote:
On 26/02/2013 18:36, Neil Richards wrote:
Hi Sean,
Thanks for your quick response.

I admit, I hadn't spotted the description of the policy file syntax to
which you point.

(In my defence, it's a lot easier to overlook than the explicit wording
that I found at the top of PrincipalComparator's Javadoc).

Just for info, are there other scenarios where (non-Principal)
PrincipalComparator impls can (still) be used, which matches that class'
Javadoc ?

Yes, I believe the legacy JAAS PolicyFile implementation (com.sun.security.auth.PolicyFile) supports PrincipalComparator classes that don't implement Principal, though I have not tested that to confirm.

And do these other scenarios also (already) support the use of
Principal.implies() ?

No for the case above, but the JAAS PolicyFile API is deprecated so I don't think we need to enhance that to support the new Principal.implies method.

I think your answer may have obviated my desire for using the suggested
fix.
I'm asking around nearby to see if evidence of real use breakage can be
found, and will tug on this thread again if/when I have something more
to share on this.

I'll leave it to Sean to comment on this but just to mention that if
this reflective dependency is added then I think it would be good to
plan to remove it in jdk9. I suggest this because PolicyFile will most
likely end up in our base/core module whereas the JDK-specific API to
JAAS (com.sun.security.auth) may not.

I think we should just wait a bit and see if anything comes up after the developer preview is released.

Thanks,
Sean