Pardon me.  It was actually BC 1.45 which screw-up, not JDK 7.
Anyway, the bottom line (for me as developer...) is that BC and JDK 7 are
incompatible at the src level.

thanx
Anders

On 2013-10-08 17:41, Vincent Ryan wrote:
> Currently, there is no public API for named curves.
>
> However you can generate named curves using the SunEC provider and the
> ECParameterSpec class.
> For example,
>
>         AlgorithmParameters parameters =
> AlgorithmParameters.getInstance("EC", "SunEC");
>         parameters.init(new ECGenParameterSpec("secp256r1"));
>         ECParameterSpec ecParameters =
> parameters.getParameterSpec(ECParameterSpec.class);
>
>         return KeyFactory.getInstance("EC", "SunEC").generatePublic(new
> ECPublicKeySpec(new ECPoint(x, y), ecParameters));
>

> It's not elegant but the list of supported named curves can be extracted from
> the AlgorithmParameters.EC SupportedCurves
> property. For example,
>
>         String[] curves = Security.getProvider("SunEC")
>             .getProperty("AlgorithmParameters.EC SupportedCurves")
>             .split("\\|");
>         for (String curve : curves) {
>             System.out.println(curve.substring(1, curve.indexOf(",")));
>         }

Thanx Vicent,

I guess this is new for JDK 7.

Unfortunately I seem to be stuck with BC because a serialized named
ECPublicKey in JDK 7 uses a different (and IMHO incorrect) format which
makes it impossible to sign a public key in an interoperable way.

Note: I used Oracle's JDK 7 on Windows but I assume it is the same for OpenJDK.

thanx
Anders Rundgren