On 11/19/2013 4:19 PM, Rajan Halade wrote:
I am working towards fixing JDK-8027598
<https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8027598>, there are multiple
options available here and would appreciate your thoughts on this. It
was filed to address the issue at large reported inJDK-8027526
<https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8027526>.

Problem - When a regression test is run in agentvm mode and alters
security providers, it can cause adverse effects on next tests executed
in the batch. We have been batteling with few intermittent failures
which are caused by scenario like this so I think it is important to
have this fix.

Possible approaches -
1. Enhance JTREG - This option would require change in jtreg to
store/restore security providers when run in agentvm mode.

That is my preference. I'm also cc'ing Jonathan Gibbons who should also be involved.

I believe you can just look to see if the provider list has been updated, then restore only if that is the case.

2. Update impacting tests to run in othervm - simple change but may slow
down batch execution slightly.

Correct.

I am not suggesting the following, but one other thing that was proposed was to update the Makefiles to run the java_security* targets in othervm, but that doesn't work when calling jtreg directly, and impacts all tests in that target.

3. Update each test to use library
java/security/KeyPairGenerator/Failover.java like done in
java/security/Provider tests - another easy change and tests would
continue to run agentvm but would have added overhead of restoring
providers.

We will continue to pursue option 1 but many not be possible. Option 2 &
3 above are equally good and are debatable so would like your thoughts
on it.

I would suggest pursing in order 1, 3, 2.

Brad

Thanks,
Rajan