The following bug and source code [1] are present in OpenSSL:

http://rt.openssl.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=1929

I think something similar could be done in the JDK, by making some tweaks to
the SocketOptions classes to expose some more options. I'm pretty sure
something relating to this will work in POSIX JDK for Linux, Solaris, OS X,
but not sure what different magic would be needed for Windows.

Then there could be some kind of way to generate the right discovery
datagrams, figure out the result, and feed it to the DTLSEngine for
packetization purposes.

Also, there is some DTLS capability in Bouncy Castle, we could see what they
allow in terms of packetization as well, though I doubt they'll have what
OpenSSL has, since IP_MTU_DISCOVER is probably not available to them either.

I am glad you guys are working on this... I already have some use cases in
mind for it! :-D

Matthew.

Reference [1]:

        case BIO_CTRL_DGRAM_MTU_DISCOVER:
#if defined(OPENSSL_SYS_LINUX) && defined(IP_MTU_DISCOVER) &&
defined(IP_PMTUDISC_DO)
                addr_len = (socklen_t)sizeof(addr);
                memset((void *)&addr, 0, sizeof(addr));
                if (getsockname(b->num, &addr.sa, &addr_len) < 0)
                        {
                        ret = 0;
                        break;
                        }
                switch (addr.sa.sa_family)
                        {
                case AF_INET:
                        sockopt_val = IP_PMTUDISC_DO;
                        if ((ret = setsockopt(b->num, IPPROTO_IP,
IP_MTU_DISCOVER,
                                &sockopt_val, sizeof(sockopt_val))) < 0)
                                perror("setsockopt");
                        break;
#if OPENSSL_USE_IPV6 && defined(IPV6_MTU_DISCOVER) && defined(IPV6_PMTUDISC_DO)
                case AF_INET6:
                        sockopt_val = IPV6_PMTUDISC_DO;
                        if ((ret = setsockopt(b->num, IPPROTO_IPV6,
IPV6_MTU_DISCOVER,
                                &sockopt_val, sizeof(sockopt_val))) < 0)
                                perror("setsockopt");
                        break;
#endif