Max,

Closing the loop on this.  It turns out that there was an extra step
needed to get the user in freeipa setup as a delegate (the
documentation was written for S4U2Proxy, not S4U2Self).  Once I set
that flag delegation started working for BOTH Java 8 and Java 9.

Thanks again.
Marc Boorshtein
CTO Tremolo Security
marc.boorsht...@tremolosecurity.com