On 5/10/16 1:30 AM, Alan Bateman wrote:
On 10/05/2016 06:36, Xueming Shen wrote:
Hi,

While testing for the attached regex changes, a fatal vm init error
was triggered for test
case with -Djava.security.debug=xyz turned on, as showed in following
stacktrace.

It appears sun.security.util.Debug is being initialized even before
the lambda is ready
for use, and unfortunately it uses j.u.regex (for its args parsing),
which is being migrated
to use lambda function in the proposed regex change.

Since Debug is the only class now triggers j.u.regex -> lambda during
initialization, it
is suggested to update/rewrite the related method in Debug to NOT use
j.u.regex to
solve/workaround this specific initialization issue.
This is always tricky but I wonder how far we could get by initializing
ProtectionDomain.debug and SecureClassLoader.debug lazily. That is, move
them to a holder class where I wouldn't expect they will be initialized
until much later, esp. as the security manager won't be set until later
in the initialization (or init phase 3 as we've come to name it).

Actually, ProtectionDomain already does something like this. It only writes to debug if the policy has been set. See toString():

       PermissionCollection pc = Policy.isSet() && seeAllp() ?
                                      mergePermissions():
                                      getPermissions();

So, a simpler fix is to extend that concept and not initialize the debug field until Policy.isSet is true. This should resolve this bootstrapping issue.

--Sean