We understood when we examined these issues last year that the existing ALPN
API would be sufficient.
However it transpired, following HTTP2 server implementation efforts, that a
particular use-case was
difficult to address without sacrificing performance.

This new API fixes that specific problem and the existing API is still
available for the common case.