you're mostly likely aware of this debug option but the java.security.debug option allows 'access' which should give you alot more information about each permission check that's been made. Maybe it's a case of scanning the output for permissions not checked and seeing if they're really necessary in your policy file.

https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/technotes/guides/security/troubleshooting-security.html

Regards,
Sean.