Tony pointed out off-list that the change to encodeISOArray() might not work.

"I'm not certain the change to encodeISOArray() is not going to work. In 8, that method can be replaced by an intrinsic and miss your additional check. Unlike in 9 where implEncodeISOArray() is intrinsfied. It maybe best to backport the method name change done in 9 too."

I replied :

"That's a fair point Tony. Without risking too much change for jdk8u-dev, would it be ok to ensure that the len value is not <= 0 before we call the method itself. There are only two call sites. Refactoring of various methods too place in JDK 9 and introduced implEncodeISOArray in that class. [1]. I think the change I'm proposing is just as useful and safer :

new webrev : http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~coffeys/webrev.8159035.8u.02/webrev/";

The security-dev list got dropped. Re-adding here.

Regards,
Sean.