On 9/15/2017 7:07 AM, Rob McKenna wrote:
But they are inextricably linked regardless.

When we close an SSLSocket it performs a readReply which is subject to
the read timeout. So if no read timeout is specified, the call to
readReply will hang indefinitely.
That's one of what I worried about. Applications have to set receiving timeout in your proposal. I don't want closing timeout binding to receiving timeout. It's doable and the impact is minimal.

Xuelei

If a read timeout is specified we
would need to maintain two separate timeouts and take each into account
when polling.

What you are suggesting would effectively necessitate a reimplementation
of the close mechanics discarding the read timeout completely. (which
would be a significant enough change in terms of compatibility)

     -Rob