Looking at the BufferedInputStream impl, it looks like its skip(...) method should trigger the internal array to be refilled when the internal bytes are used up. Maybe something like below would also work?

    while (n > 0) {
        int n2 = skip(n);
        if (n2 == 0) {throw new IOException("Premature EOF reached"); } else {
n -= n2; } }

Valerie