On 9/11/2018 11:07 AM, Adam Petcher wrote:

I still haven't been convinced that this lack of interoperability is a significant problem. In the proposed design, the new KeyFactory will not support ECPrivateKeySpec, and the implementation will produce private keys that inherit from PrivateKey, but not ECPrivateKey. Specifically, what problems in JCE are introduced by this design? How are these interoperability issues different from the ones you encounter with a PKCS11 provider that doesn't export private keys? If the developer wants more interoperability, why not use SunEC? If we decide that we want the new implementation to have better interoperability in the future, does something prevent us from enhancing it? These questions are for anyone who can help me understand the objections that have been raised related to interoperability.

A week has passed since I asked these questions to the mailing list, and I haven't gotten any answers. Without additional information, I'm not motivated to change the interoperability goals in the draft JEP.