The keystore.pkcs12.keyProtectionAlgorithm property was introduced in JDK 8. I don't think there are many apps using it.

Thus, I would make a decision on what you think the best solution is long-term and then make sure you document any compatibility issues in the CSR and release note.

My main advice is not to carry over the existing PKCS12 or pkcs12 flexibility into the new properties.

--Sean