ping ...

On 12/10/2018 1:14 PM, Xue-Lei Fan wrote:
Hi,

Please review the TLS 1.3 half-close issue in JDK.

     http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~xuelei/8209333/webrev.00/

While trying to duplex close a TLS connection upon the half-close policy, there might be pending receiving data in the closing side, and result in a TCP RST during closing.  The TCP RST may then cause the peer reading failure.  For example:
1. client and server establish a TLS 1.3 connection.
2. server sending the post-handshake NewSessionTicket message.
3. client send the application data, and then close the connection.
4. as the client does not call to read the post-handshake message, the connection close will cause a TCP RST. 5. server trying to read the client application data, but the socket may be impacted by the TCP RST, and the reading can fail.

It would not be an issue any more if the client could read the post-handshake message, explicit or implicit.

I would like applications consider to use half-close policy, and moving away from the duplex-close policy.

The basic idea of the fix is trying to use up buffered network input before close the socket.  As is an implicit behavior to consume the post-handshake message, and mitigate the impact of it.

This fix is not a perfect one.  It is just a workaround for duplex-close.  I'm open to hear more ideas.

Thanks,
Xuelei