I would highly suggest implementing your own for a much better
understanding.

I did implement something like what you want and in so doing realized I
like their decision.  ie. See the heirarchy here
https://github.com/deanhiller/webpieces/tree/master/core/core-channelmanager2/src/main/java/org/webpieces/nio/api/channels

The TCPChannel could be SSL or not SSL as there are two implementations.

If you do want an implementation that does what you want though, this
library does exactly that
https://github.com/deanhiller/webpieces/tree/master/core/core-channelmanager2

which is used in the webpieces webserver
https://github.com/deanhiller/webpieces

That nio library is standalone even though it is in the webpieces repo.  I
mean, every component in webpieces is another stand-alone piece.

The downside is the library owns a thread which typical java libraries
avoid.  ie. it has to have a thread to poll the selector and read from all
the sockets to be fed to the thread pools, etc.  I think that is the main
reason they decided not to have this type of library.  They prefer not to
be running threads(which I agree, the jdk shouldn't).

later,
Dean