Hi Sean,

On 8/29/2019 6:18 AM, Sean Mullan wrote:
Looks fine to me although I didn't check if you missed anything.

What kind of documentation changes can we expect by using this annotation?

The documentation changes are just when reading the sources, the annotation type itself is not @Documented so it doesn't appear in the generated javadoc.

Thanks,

-Joe

--Sean

On 8/27/19 8:16 PM, Joe Darcy wrote:
Hello,

Recent work for JDK-8202385: "Annotation to mark serial-related fields and methods" added the java.io.Serial annotation type to the platform. The intention of this new annotation type is to allow serialization-related fields and methods to be marked as documentation and to allow stricter compile-time checking, analogous to the checking done for @Override. Implementing those stricter serialization-related checks will be done under JDK-8202056.

Please review the application of java.io.Serial to the security-related types in the base module:

     JDK-8229999 : Apply java.io.Serial annotations to security types in java.base
     http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~darcy/8229999.0/

As a reminder, the 5 serialization-related methods and 2 fields are:

     * private void writeObject(java.io.ObjectOutputStream stream) throws IOException      * private void readObject(java.io.ObjectInputStream stream) throws IOException, ClassNotFoundException
     * private void readObjectNoData() throws ObjectStreamException
     * ANY-ACCESS-MODIFIER Object writeReplace() throws ObjectStreamException      * ANY-ACCESS-MODIFIER Object readResolve() throws ObjectStreamException
     * private static final ObjectStreamField[] serialPersistentFields
     * private static final long serialVersionUID

Thanks,

-Joe